I thought you might be!
Here’s one idea that checks all of the following boxes:
- It will keep us thinking critically and articulating our thoughts about political issues in the coming year and beyond, on a regular basis
- It will let our elected representatives know where we stand on key issues likely to be affected by the Trump administration (climate change, freedom of the press, reproductive rights, racism, immigration…)
- It doesn’t cost anything but a couple of postage stamps and a bit of printer ink each week
- It can be accomplished at any time of day or night, in the comfort of your home (and in your pajamas, if you so choose), in 30 minutes or less, once a week
- It will introduce you to a grip (so far 110 and counting) of excellent people nationwide who are also committing to this peaceful act of democracy
- Unlike complaining to our already-sympathetic friends and family in our living rooms (which I also fully intend to go on doing), this actually might help us sway decision-making at the highest levels of government
What is it??
Why, it’s a good old fashioned letter writing campaign!
My new friend Katie is organizing people nationwide who pledge to send one brief letter a week to our respective state’s senators (and district reps, too, if we choose) about important issues we want to weigh in on. We’ll start right after the inauguration. The group is pooling ideas for topics to write about and talking points to include, so the letter-penning task won’t turn into hours of homework for anyone. (AKA: You don’t need to be a policy wonk to make your letters meaningful! You just need to show you care.)
While of course we’d love for anyone and everyone to get in on this, we’re especially looking for people who live in “red” or mixed states or congressional districts to get on board, as well as people who live in places that experienced an unexpected swell of Trump support in the voting booths.
If you think you might want to take part, awesome!! Just fill out this quick form, or send an email to Katie at email@example.com with the subject “Deal Me In” and your city and state in the body. She’ll give you more details and you can decide if you want to take part.
Thanks, fellow travelers! I’m glad to have you around as we gear up for the unknown.