It’s called the Liebster Award, and the entirely-too-kind Pooja Gudka at lifesfinewhine nominated me. Thanks a ton, Pooja!
The certified seal of approval
For the uninitiated (which included me until this happened), here’s a little primer courtesy of Jen There Done That:
What is the Liebster Award?
“Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. In the blogging world, the Liebster Award is online recognition given by bloggers to other new bloggers for enjoying or valuing their work. It is meant to highlight and credit favorite new up and coming blogs within our writing community.
Once nominated, a blogger is asked to answer 11 questions provided by the nominating blogger. They are then expected to nominate 11 other favorite new bloggers and come up with a list of 11 new questions for those nominees. This keeps the love going!
If I’m about one thing, it’s keeping the love going, so let’s do this!
Here are Pooja’s 11 questions for me, with my answers:
1. What is your greatest achievement in life?
Buying a studio apartment in New York City as a single 20-something lady. I hope this accomplishment will be usurped by the eventual production of my Magnum Opus.
2. What is your favourite movie?
The Big Lebowski.
3. Who is your biggest role model?
So many! Lately I’ve been super into Elizabeth Streb (whom I had the great good fortune to interview in 2008).
4. Where do you want to travel to most?
For perspective-upending culture shock, I’m intrigued with visiting more of Africa and the Middle East. For soul-breathing hikes and eye-expanding vistas, I’m drawn to the Bavarian Alps and Scandinavian coastlines. Oh, and a friend recently introduced me to these crazy mountains in China that positively beg a visit!
5. Who is your favourite musician and why?
Another stumper! I’ve been super into Beck lately, particularly the track “Beercan.” Also Bowie’s “Fame.” Because they’re so deeply good.
6. If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
Hmm… Could we try… No more greed? Just for a day or two to start. Take ‘er for a test drive.
7. What is your favourite T.V show?
Since I haven’t watched much TV since the ’90s, I have to say The Simpsons. Though that answer might not be different even if I’d kept watching.
8. Who inspired you to start writing?
I don’t think it was a person as much as the desire to commune with my experience of the world in a (sort of) tangible way.
9. What is your favourite time of day to write?
Those reflective bookend times: morning and night. And any time the itch strikes in between.
10. What is your biggest goal in life?
To feel like I’ve met my potential creatively and altruistically.
11. What is your favourite quote?
I hate to pick just one! But here’s a beaut, I believe from A. S. Byatt: “The writer wrote alone, and the reader read alone, and they were alone together.”
Here is a non-inclusive montage of some of the people and things referenced above:
Zhangye Danxia Landform Geological Park, China
Now, here are my 11 nominees!
Sarah Van Buren / Mototripping
Mirka Knaster / exploring the heART of it…
LJ Gormley / My Latin Notebook
Jem Arrowsmith Designs
Nicholas Peart / The Slider
Neil Scheinin / Yeah, Another Blogger
M.Funk : Photography
And my 11 questions for them:
- What’s the coolest award you’ve ever gotten? (You can say the Liebster Award if you want.)
- When did you last ride a public bus?
- Have you ever slipped when getting out of the shower and felt older than you actually are?
- Which of your childhood friends are you saddest to have lost touch with, and what you do think they’re doing now?
- Honestly: Do you really consider it the three-second rule? Have you ever extended it to more seconds? If so, how many?
- Why do you think all those houseplants have died under your care?
- Please describe the time you sung most humiliatingly in public.
- Best popcorn topping. Go.
- Would you rather dream of a spider infestation or a snake infestation? Why?
- What is your least favorite color? Explain.
- Should 7-Eleven have discontinued their Sour Patch Watermelon Slurpee flavor? Why or why not?
Lastly, I am obliged (and happy) to provide the rules of the award in this very post:
What are the rules for the Liebster Award?
Once you accept a nomination, you are expected to complete the following steps:
– Thank and link to the blogger who nominated you
– Create a post on your blog, displaying the Liebster Award logo
– Answer the 11 questions assigned by the blogger who nominated you
– Provide rules/instructions for accepting the award
– Nominate 11 new favorite bloggers for the Liebster Award
– Come up with a list of 11 new questions for your nominees
– Notify the nominees
– Post your Liebster Award blog post link in the comments of your nominator’s Liebster Award Post
That should cover it. Thanks again, y’all! I am proud to be among ye.